Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Opening the Harvard soda kiln






We were in Boston yesterday with our friend Sue, opening the soda kiln that fired last Thursday. It was a tight pack. Lotsa pots in there. So some might have been shielded a bit from the soda. But people were pretty happy with the results. It was a learning thing for me and Crystal Ribich, the woman in charge of the workshop, is a good teacher. There was no question she wouldn't answer.
I went a bit overboard on the Bauer's slip, hence the great number of orange pots among my 30 that came from the kiln. Bauer's takes the soda well, when it gets in touch with it. And there were several pots that showed evidence of that. The top of the pack was a bit underfired, reaching only a bit over cone 7, so I will refire some of my pots to cone 10 in my own kiln. Should be interesting to see what results from that. In the past I've had very good luck refiring salt pots, so I expect there will be some happy improvement in already decent pots.
I'll take some of the slipped but unfired pots down to Castle Hill art center in Truro for a salt firing early next week. It should be interesting to see the difference in the slips' and glazes' reaction to salt over soda.
I'll attach some photos. Anyone who has questions about the process, feel free to ask in the comments section.
Photos, top to bottom: A lovely result glazing a teabowl in the studio's Carbon Trap; yes, by God, a turquoise that I like; the opened kiln; a small paddled vase; three teabowls.

8 comments:

cookingwithgas said...

Yum, yum,yum- I love that tasty toasty orange- lovely.

Dennis Allen said...

Looks like you still got some color up top.I have improved slightly dry pots by spraying on 1Tbl Gerstley, pinch of bentonite in a cup of water and electric firing to cone 6.(on wads)That first teabowl is very nice.

Michèle Hastings said...

lovely teabowls. i have had good luck refiring salt glazed pots in the gas kiln... they take on a whole different look, losing the orange peel and going all shiny.

ang design said...

thats an impressive firing and a powerful slip hollis :P
love the results on your teabowls 3 very different personalities....

Tracey Broome said...

I've used Bauer slip before, it is really a nice finish on pots. Can't wait to see you blogging about that new soda kiln you are going to build :)

Marcus said...

Uh oh, a blue pot that you're willing to keep? Dangerous. I love the oranges -- AP would love that color.

Hollis Engley said...

I take the hint, Mr. Anonymous. ()For the rest of you, AP is my daughter-in-law.)

texas said...

Great work! I'm really liking the turquoise piece. Is that glaze recipe on line or one you tweaked to get that result?

Thanks,
Adam in Austin TX.