Friday, July 1, 2011

Surfaces from Thursday's firing






I fired the gas kiln yesterday, filled with chowder bowls and tumblers and a few odds and ends that didn't get into the firing two weeks ago. I've got a show coming up in Harwich, down-Cape from us, next weekend and needed to get as much inventory finished as I could.
I have been unhappy with my Shinos for a few firings now, and I decided to throw out all three buckets and mix new batches, hoping that would solve the problems. Looks like it might have, after I opened the kiln this morning. I suspect the problems may have been as simple as letting the Shinos get too thick. The results in the Bright Shino, Red Shino and the Malcolm Davis carbon-trap were much more like they should be.
And I stretched out the firing time, from about six hours to eight and one-half hours. I let the temperature rise much more slowly than I have been. These are all more or less blind stabs in the dark, but the attempts might have hit on a few things that will work for me. Though even though I didn't top cone 10 either top or bottom, I still got a few more glazes running off the pots than I'm used to. Maybe it's the extra hours up near and slightly above cone 9.
One of the things I look for in my glazes is texture and detail. There were some that I like in this firing. See the photos.

10 comments:

Tracey Broome said...

Wow! We got to your house too soon, would love to have seen this load in person! Beautiful glazes, well worth the effort I would say!

ang design said...

oh good lookin surfaces...I've been staring at that first pic for quite a while mmmmm nice...whats the combo?
I've started brushing one of my shinos on mostly because of the overlap prob that shino has getting along with others but I do like it thinner now too

Hollis Engley said...

Thanks, guys. Ang, that first is a green ash glaze recipe from Phil Rogers' salt glaze book. I can post it for you, if you like.

Dennis Allen said...

Why yes we'd like. Is that drool on those pictures? Oops, that's on my screen.I've always heard that fresh shino's are better.

cookingwithgas said...

oh yummmmmm! Those are very sweet and tasty!
A feast for the eyes.

Unknown said...

They look great! I am learning so much from you Hollis :) Thanks for posting all that you do~

FetishGhost said...

Mmmmmmm, thanks for the close-ups.
I hadn't heard about shinos getting tired before, but I have wondered how a glazes chemistry might change over time and use due to wicking off water soluble materials in the glaze.
Love the new batch Hollis.

ang design said...

ooooh yes please hollis

Anna M. Branner said...

Beautiful. Experimentation at its best.

Michèle Hastings said...

nice surfaces!