Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Why we live here ...


Those of you who have read this blog for the past couple of years know that we spend time in and on the water in the summer. And you've seen plenty of photos of hardshell clams (we call them quahaugs, their Native American name) on this blog.
So I won't show you any more clams, at least not on this post. But I will show you dawn over the little cove off Buzzards Bay where I usually dig quahaugs with my friends Mike and Tammy. I was there this morning, about 5:45, the sun not quite up over the trees behind me, waiting for my friends to show up with their kayak. I was not the first clammer there, as you can see from the photo. A lone man was already out in fairly unproductive water, scraping his rake across the bottom.
The three of us paddled across to the island you see in the distance, a much more productive area, and we had our limit of a half-peck basket by 7. Then we left the cove to the ospreys, blue herons and loons.

12 comments:

Judy Shreve said...

WOW - what a gorgeous place. And I'm sure those clams are fabulous. You do live near paradise.

Anna M. Branner said...

Beautiful. (Even though I don't like clams...but my husband does!)

cookingwithgas said...

ahhhhhhhh..........yes.....

Hannah said...

You dear boy really do get up far too early! It's not normal but I can see from that picture why you would want to.
x

Tracey Broome said...

except for those dang mosquitoes!!!
you do live in paradise! Wait until you hear the song Wes wrote at your house, they are here recording it as I type this.....

Unknown said...

what a great way to greet the day! beautiful~

Hollis Engley said...

Thanks, guys. Meredith, there will be clams for you when you two get here in September. Hannah, believe me, it's a struggle to get out of bed that early, but I do enjoy that time of day on the water. And you're right about the bugs, Tracey, but they were gnats this time. And we're looking forward to hearing Wes's song.

ang design said...

It is incredibly gorgeous and i did enjoy my runs around the bay area as chilly as it was!! :))

Michèle Hastings said...

beautiful, peaceful photograph.
and clams... YUM!

Unknown said...

sounds like a wonderful time. You can never have too many clam photos!

Michael Mahan said...

I want a piece of that, Hollis. My son and I are talking of going to the coast to do some surf fishing.

Hollis Engley said...

Should I shlp you some clams for bait, Michael?