Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Soda firing in Boston this afternoon





I've been involved in a soda workshop at the Harvard University ceramics facility in Boston for the past couple of weeks. Falmouth potter Sue Wadoski and I drove up yesterday to work the first shift of loading with teacher Crystal Ribich. I'm headed up again in a couple of hours to be involved with the application of soda as cone 7 goes down. Because I'm seriously thinking of building a soda kiln here, it seemed like a good opportunity to get some hands-on experience. Lots of faceted teabowls of mine in there.
Meanwhile, I sold pots at the Harwich Cranberry Festival this past weekend, about an hour to the west of here. Not a great show. Lovely weather, but a rather strange group of vendors. Including one fellow who sold so-called "scrimshaw," but also had a rotating sales gondola in front of his tent, covered with flat white dog bone shapes, with "I (heart) my Shar Pei," "I (heart) my therapy dog," etc.
OK, I'm off to Boston now. Soda pot photos, hopefully, late Friday.
Photos: Crystal Ribich with soda pots; the back stack in the Harvard soda kiln, mostly done; a selection of Dee's flowers in my pots in Harwich.

8 comments:

Linda Starr said...

What a great faceted vase, firing sounds like fun.

Dennis Allen said...

Love dat soda.Went to a workshop last weekend on building a basic flat top cube soda kiln.I'm starting to believe it doesn't have to be that complicated.Looking forward to seeing your pictures.

Hollis Engley said...

Well ... I drove to Boston and found that an electical problem put off the firing until tomorrow. Long drive for nothing. So I'll be back at it Thursday. Dennis, if you got any plans or references for that kiln, I'd love to hear about them.

ang design said...

you better be taking heaps of notes Hollis.... exam at the end of it all....that looks like a mighty well used kiln....crusty :P

Hollis Engley said...

I'm taking notes, Ang. And yes, it's mighty well used. They're planning a rebuild in the near future. It's been fired every three days for ten years, during school sessions. Considering all that, it's held up pretty well.

ang design said...

wow that's some effort!! and really explains the build up of salt :))

Paul Jessop said...

Hollis those bone shapes sound great how can I get one?
Don't worry only kidding, have a great firing i'd love to try it.

Hollis Engley said...

I'll make you some bones, Paul ...