Tuesday, July 17, 2012

On the board of Studio Potter ...

I got word last night that I've been voted onto the board of Studio Potter magazine, a serious and professional publication for working artists and craftspeople. I'm flattered and looking forward to working with the creative people who are part of the organization.
A few years ago, Meredith Heywood (of Whynot Pottery in North Carolina) and I worked with editor Mary Barringer on a story about blogging and potters, and about the subsequent Southern Pines, N.C., show that brought the work of many of the bloggers together in one building. That was the start of wider horizons for me and for my clay work.
Then, a few months ago, I met Elizabeth Cohen of Wellesley, Mass., at the State of Clay exhibit in Lexington. Elizabeth is on the Studio Potter board and suggested that as a potter and former journalist I might be of some use to the magazine. I agreed, and after interviews and applications and a vote, that's where I am. I'm eager to see what happens.
Photos: Two pots whose photos went out last night in an application to a show next year in Texas.



12 comments:

Tracey Broome said...

What a perfect choice. You will bring a lot to an already wonderful publication. Congrtats, well deserved!!

Scott K Roberts said...

Excellent!!

Julia said...

Congratulations! I'm sure you will bring a lot of fresh ideas!

Arte Cerâmica Zen said...

Wonderful your artwork!!

Ron said...

That's great Hollis! They will surely benefit by having you on board. (I need to renew!)

Hannah said...

Hey now that is exciting. Well done you. Bet you'll enjoy that one.

Michèle Hastings said...

Congratulation! You will be a great fit for the publication. I let my subscription lapse a couple of years ago, it just got too expensive. I still pour through the collection I have that goes back to it's inception.
I especially love the articles Gerry Williams wrote about his travels around the country, visiting potters.
... wouldn't it be great if you could travel and write about todays studio potters!

Dennis Allen said...

Good for you, Good for them. Good for us.

Hollis Engley said...

Thanks, everyone. Now renew your subscriptions.

Judi Tavill said...

So great!

cookingwithgas said...

Congratulations Hollis! I hope it works out well for you.
I look forward to reading.
Best,
M

Unknown said...

It better not take time away from shellfishing...