Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Very, very small farmer's market

On my drive home after morning coffee, I often take the back road past the high school to avoid the crush of summer traffic. Either no summer people know about the road, or it would take them nowhere they want to go. Either way, I know I can drive more or less uninterrupted.
Plus, my favorite roadside vegetable stand is on the road. Every day from mid-June into the fall, an Asian family puts out lettuce, rhubarb, basil, parsley, cilantro, Swiss chard, mint, and a variety of other greens that I don't recognize but often buy. The prices are good, the food is fresh and clean. What's not to like?
Tomorrow, with Dee's two sisters visiting, we'll have dinner on the deck with a pesto made from the freshest parsley and cilantro in town. 



9 comments:

Dennis Allen said...

It makes no difference how big the farmer is as long as the produce is good.

Ron said...

Yum.

Tracey Broome said...

Is that the same garden we ate from when we were there? I remember some amazing greens! Love those people that grow veggies for us :)

cookingwithgas said...

don't you love summer?

Kellie said...

I love that lady's veggie cart! We stop all the time for last minute lettuce and the occasional bunch of rhubarb.

Anonymous said...

I like how you snuck that beauty of a mug into that last picture! ;-)

Hollis Engley said...

Yes, Dennis, the product is good. Picked up a couple of heads of lettuce this morning to go with the shrimp and potato salad tonight. Yes, Tracey, I think some of what we served you came from there, though it's possible some came from Mike and Tammy. Indeed, Meredith. And you all should meet Kellie, a mother, librarian and very fine knitter, who is a reader of this blog and apparently also frequents that cart. And yes, that's my mug sitting there on the front seat with the cilantro, parsley and that morning's Boston Globe.

Barry said...

I had a Hollis sighting at the little farm stand this morning. ;)
We will be up to see you soon.

Quietly Otaku said...

I always think you can really taste the difference in fresh farm foods vs items that have been sitting around for a while. Can't beat it