Monday, April 11, 2011

The Brits are on the road






Visiting potters Doug Fitch and Hannah McAndrew are even now on the road with Dan Finnegan and Australian blogger-potter Angela Walford, somewhere between Cape Cod and Fredericksburg, Va. The people attending next weekend's slipware workshop in Fredericksburg and the following weekend in Shelby, NC, are in for a treat. We knew from looking at their blogs and their online photos that these are two fine potters and decorators. Now we know that they're personable, funny, modest about their considerable abilities, generous ... and all the good things that Hannah probably tries to teach her Cub Scouts in Scotland. Everyone at the Cape Cod workshop liked them a lot. And so will the folks in Virginia and North Carolina.
Yesterday they finished up decorating several pots and Doug threw a couple more to make up for speedier-than-expected drying overnight in the classroom. We cleaned up teacher Stephanie York's room and then a small group of us headed to the British Beer Company in Falmouth Heights, next to the beach, with Martha's Vineyard on the horizon, and ate and drank British beer and cider and enjoyed a fairly noisy hour or so.
Back here after dinner, the four of us sat down in front of the television to watch the Red Sox beat the Yankees. Many, many questions from the tired Brits about this foreign game, and Hannah is still trying to work out the proper time to applaud something that happens on the field. Maybe watching the Nationals out of Washington will help her with that. In the morning, Doug donned his new Red Sox cap and took a couple of swings with a bat at my underhand pitching. The man can hit, driving a hard line drive into the neighbor's yard.
Then a big crowd around the table at Coffee Obsession, with chocolate-espresso pecan pie provided by Janet. Doug and Hannah made lots of friends while they were here on Cape Cod. They'll do the same down South.

17 comments:

Dennis Allen said...

Thanks for the update.Can't wait for next weekend.

Alex said...

Hi Hollis
Please tell the brits that 'Alex told you it would be fine',and well done for what seems a great workshop.
Its great reading all about the trip on your blog, thanks Hollis.
Alex McErlain

Hollis Engley said...

I'm sure they'll read the post, Alex. I think the level of nervousness is considerably reduced after the weekend. And the highlights of the workshop also included the "Hollyford Harvest" film and the Nic Collins film, both of which are lovely.

Tracey Broome said...

your blogging about the workshop has bee great, feel like I was there, and really wishing I was!!! and I want some of that PIE!

Anna M. Branner said...

Only 4 more days! I hope those two brought some cooler clothes...it is HOT down here in Virginia today.

John Bauman said...

I sure wish I could have been part of this somewhere along the trip. I've never met either, but they write two of my favorite blogs.

Unfortunately, I'm getting ready for my first shows of the season, and while I'll be traveling relatively close (by US map standards -- I'll be in Tennessee this weekend), I'll not be able to make the workshops.

cookingwithgas said...

Here and gone! i know that to us it seems so fast! Can you ever believe it has come and gone?

Ben Carter said...

I love the Flame thrower he is using. Looks like a great workshop. Happy Potting.

Paul Jessop said...

Doug and Hannah, are the nicest of people, and they both have great skills, They would both have been worried about it, but there skills will always shine through. updates have been great Hollis, Thank you so much,

Unknown said...

Yes...cheers for all the updates Hollis. It has been so good watching them in the workshops. I don't think I've ever seen such a large grin on Hannahs face as the one in the big group shot!

Hollis Engley said...

They were a total treat to have among us. I'm glad everyone enjoyed the updates. Hoping to see some good stuff from the Virginia and NC workshops now.

Unknown said...

What a great time you all have had- and like everyone, I have enjoyed vicariously being there too!

That platter is Stunning!!! and it looks like you are making out pretty good Hollis, with a custom jar decorated for you ;)

Onward to their next adventure!!

Becky said...

Thank you, Hollis for the wonderful blog posts. They've stoked anticipation down NC way for the April 23rd workshop! You can be sure there will be at least three bloggers from the Old North State posting further photos.

Hollis Engley said...

Thanks, guys. I think NC is going to enjoy these two. As will Virginia. And yes, there's a tea jar with my name on it that I have to retrieve from the kiln at Falmouth High School.

jbf said...

Wonderful coverage of a special treat. With Becky, I can't wait until they get here.

Michèle Hastings said...

great posts... thank you for sharing Hollis!

Hannah said...

Flipping heck you lot. Sitting here quietly on my own at home, (alone for the first time in a month very odd feeling indeed)and reading through all the blog posts that I can find just to try to remind me that it did all really happen. These comments from y'all are making me teary - again! Thank you so very much, it means a lot, really it does.
hx