Wednesday, April 20, 2011

"The Potter and the Painter" opens next week



Any regular reader of this blog could be excused for thinking nothing has happened here for the past month other than the slipware workshop with UK potters Doug Fitch and Hannah McAndrew. And that is largely true. But just before they arrived, I dry-stacked my gas kiln and then left it alone for a couple of weeks. Then I spent this past Monday glazing and loading and Tuesday afternoon firing.
Not a bad batch of pots. Many hakeme-decorated shallow bowls and teabowls, most of them in an iron kaki glaze.
A few of the pots from this load will go into the show at the StoveFactory Gallery in Boston, which opens Friday, April 29. Come on up and see my work and Dara Pannebaker's beautiful paintings. We'll be starting to set up this weekend, then wrapping up the details late next week.
The photos: Five shallow bowls from yesterday's firing, brushed in white slip and glazed in a Leach Kaki; a group of pots that will be in the show.

11 comments:

Tracey Broome said...

Beautiful work Hollis and I love the piece you sent for my studio!! More on that in a later post :)

Dennis Allen said...

Have a great show.

Dan Finnegan said...

Nice bowls!

cookingwithgas said...

and here I was thinking you were just watching soaps and eating cake and you have to show up these fab pots!
They look wonderful!
I would love to be there, in fact I was thinking today I need to see Cape Cod.
Best for the opening.
M

Hollis Engley said...

Come on up, Meredith. You're always welcome. And you two can even drive on the correct side of the road.
You're welcome, Tracey. Glad he remembered to fish it out of his luggage.

cookingwithgas said...

One of these days Hollis- my mind is planning a get away so how would 1 week notice work- well maybe 2!

Hollis Engley said...

One week, two weeks, whatever ... you can use us as a motel.

Julia said...

Breathtaking work (as always). I love the dark brown pots in the first picture in your post. The colors are amazingly rich!

Hollis Engley said...

Thanks, Julia. It's an ash kaki glaze, which pools here and there and is more or less transparent, so the brushed slip being it shows up.

laura weant johnson said...

i need one of those bowls in the first pic!! do you have any of them left? gorgeous work!

Hollis Engley said...

I do, Laura. I can send you a photo of one.